Muhammad Ali

by Savitri from Bandung, Indonesia

Muhammad Ali, the former heavyweight champion of the world, changed the face of boxing. In the early 60’s, the sport of boxing was in a declining state. It was no longer a sport, but a glorified street clash, controlled by the gang and mobs. In such a bleak scenario, an American boxer, Muhammad Ali, with his flamboyant charisma, transformed boxing into a lively and popular sport and turned it into one of the greatest shows on earth. He dominated the ring for over two decades and left the stage with a string of 56 victories, 37 by way of knockout. It’s an all-time professional record. With a mix of both arrogance and charisma, he generated a wide range of emotions from boxing fans, who both loved and hated him. He fought for the rights of Blacks all his life and is still fighting with the same passion he fought with in the ring.

Ali was born in Louisville, Kentucky on January 17th, 1942. At the time of his birth he was a Christian, named Cassius Clay Jr. but in 1964 he converted from Christianity to Islam. He couldn't stand the humiliation and racism that he experienced as a black person. Inspired by Malcolm X, he joined the Black Muslim Organization, the Nation of Islam. Muhammad Ali was a name given to him by Elijah Muhammad. His new name meant ‘beloved of Allah’.

Ali was a special man. His first-ever boxing activity took place when he was just six months old. As an infant, he smacked his mother in the face and she said that the punch was so hard that two of her teeth had to be pulled out. He also became known as a symbol of Black power, an entertainer, a preacher of Islam and the only ‘poet laureate’ sportsman in the world.

The exile from his boxing career during the Vietnam War didn’t make him desperate. He used his natural ability to give speeches at universities. His lectures attracted huge audiences. Believe it or not, Muhammad Ali was the third most popular speaker in America at that time. The first two were U.S senators Edmund Muskie and Edward Kennedy

In 1982 Ali was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. But he'll never let Parkinson's stop his life. He struggles against it. He sees his disease as a chance to go to heaven by helping others. "Since hanging up his gloves, Ali has focused his energy towards political activism and charitable and philanthropic endeavors. Muhammad Ali has carried his passion from the ring over to a deep concern for his fellow human beings." He has helped hundreds, even thousands of people around the world. Even the Secretary-General of United Nations, Kofi Annan, presented him a formal framed citation and a lapel pin in the form of a dove exclusively designed by artist Leni Fuhrman for the messenger of peace. The magnanimity of this great soul reflects his own words-

The words of truth are touching The voice of truth is deep The law of truth is simple On your soul you reap

Today he’s considered an idol, almost a demigod. Ali is not in the ring today, but the game misses his powerful punches, jabs and a voice of confidence that sang. No one can take his place in our heart.