Bjorn Borg

by Domenick from Cedar Grove, New Jersey

A hero should have good qualities, such as open-mindedness, spontaneity, and honesty. They should be responsible, loyal, passionate, and confident. Heroes don’t just think about themselves but of others. Bjorn Borg of Sweden is a hero because he is a great sports figure.

Bjorn Borg was born on June 6, 1956 in Sodertalje, Sweden. At the age of 9, he first held a tennis racket in his hand. By the time Borg was 11, he'd captured all the World’s Junior Titles. When Bjorn was 15, he qualified for the Swedish Davis Cup team, becoming the youngest player to win a Cup match.

Bjorn Borg won the French Open six years in a row. He led his team to win the Davis Cup against New Zealand, and he won the 1975 Davis Cup against Jan Kodes of Czechoslovakia. Bjorn won Wimbledon five years in a row. He won the French Open in 1974, 1975, 1978, 1979, 1980, and 1981. This was something no one had done before. Bjorn Borg got married to Mariana Simonescu. After he was married, he cut down on his tournament play.

Bjorn Borg once said, “If you’re afraid of losing then you daren’t win.” Bjorn believes in himself; he thinks he can do it and he can. Another quality he has is perseverance. He believes that never giving up is hard practice. Bjorn is also respectful, because he respects everyone trying their hardest. These qualities are what helped him play the game and play it well.

In conclusion, a hero is someone who devotes themselves to helping others by accomplishing great deeds. Bjorn Borg is a hero because he inspired others to play tennis and be number one. Bjorn Borg also inspired others because when someone lost to him, he always showed sportsmanship.

Unknown. Compton's Encyclopedia. Chicago: Britannica, 1990. Volume 3 Page 366