William Clark

by Noelle, The Community School, Sun Valley, ID, USA

Have you always wanted to cross the Rocky Mountains and get to a river? Well William Clark did all that and he was an Indian agent, soldier and territorial governor. Clark married Julia Hancock on January 5, 1808. They had 5 children and loved them all very much.

Clark was born on August, 1770, in Carline County, Virginia. Clark did not go to school for he was home schooled but he was a good reader. His five older brothers fought in the American Revolutionary war. He was 9th of 10 children. His parents were natives of King and Queen County.

As you know, Meriwether Lewis and William Clark crossed the Rocky Mountains with Sacajawea. Clark kept Sacajawea’s baby to educate him, even though he wasn’t his child. He is important because he discovered the west and encouraged more people to go there.

I think William Clark was a hero because he explored the dangerous West in the 1800s. He survived lots of hard times while traveling. He helped make America a place where people would take chances to explore the mountains with all their dangers.

Wilmore, Kathy. "Lewis and Clark. "Kids Discover. New York, NY: Mark Levine, 2004.