Wenlan Chia

by Emily Lue from Tainan, Taiwan

Stories Behind The 'Twinkle by Wenlan'
This is the official photograph of Wenlan Chia. (

Wenlan Chia--the founder of the “Twinkle by Wenlan” collection, was the first Taiwanese to be in the New York Fashion Week. Many people may ask, “How did she do that?”, because being in the New York Fashion Week was so difficult that only the top designers were able to show their works, let alone a Taiwanese designer. However, the establishment of “Twinkle by Wenlan” and the recognitions given to her designs had proven that this girl from Taiwan did have her guts to break new grounds and brought her designs to life.

As a normal Taiwanese student, the only thing she was asked to do was to study, and she knew that becoming a designer was almost an impossible future dream at that time, so she chose social science as her major instead of arts in the university. However, with a great obsession in arts, Wenlan finally decided to depart from Taiwan for America to study arts after graduating from the university. During the time she studied in New York, she had seen numerous top designs and realized that there were still many undiscovered parts of fashion in New York, which inspired her future design in knit sweaters that would later become the “Twinkle by Wenlan” collections’ signature.

A collection of Wenlan Chia's design (The officail website of

At the first time I saw Wenlan Chia’s designs, which expressed elegance and passion at the same time, I was totally obsessed with them. Differed from other designers who expressed their designs by using exaggerated features or brilliant colors, Wenlan Chia’s designs were “wearable” even in daily life, which was because her clothes were originally designed for business women.

Furthermore, her story of starting “Twinkle by Wenlan” reminded me of my own dream of being a movie producer. To be a movie producer, I needed to go through many tasks, including my families’ opinions, a long period of work time, and low payments for the first work. Though achieving my dream seemed to be full of difficulties, I still looked forward to it. Wenlan Chia’s attitude toward confronting challenges was something I’d like to learn about.

TWINKLE BY WENLAN - This is the official website of the Twinkle by Wenlan collection.

You can also see her other designs in jewelry, livings, books, and magazines.

Hello, everyone. I'm Emily from Taiwan. You may not know this designer from Taiwan, but you will sure be interested in her story.