Vasyl Poryk

by Diana from Luchynets

I want to tell you about my Hero. Vasyl Poryk was born in the village of Solomyrka, not far from my native village. He dreamt to work in the field but had to become a soldier.

Vasyl Poryk, senior lieutenant, fought against fascists for the Motherland in France. Vasyl lived in a very hard time of starvation and the Second World War. But the most terrible thing was that Vasyl was captured by the fascists. In the prisoner of war camp he and his friends worked very hard in France. There he took part in the organization of the Resistance movement and prepared to escape from the camp.

In 1943 Vasyl Poryk created a partisan detachment in Northern France. He fought bravely for almost a year, his detachment killed lots of fascists, they captured the fascists' camp, Boman, and freed all the prisoners. During one of the military actions, he got into an ambush. The brave man was shot by the Nazis and was buried in France.

French did not forget about Vasyl Poryk's heroic deeds. He was awarded the title of a National Hero of France. In the 1960s, the French writer Andre Pierrard wrote a novel «Young man with a rose» and in the Soviet Union, V. Poryk was given the title of a Soviet Union Hero. A number of museums in Ukrainian cities, streets, are named in honour of him, to keep the memory of a Hero.

So many years have passed… Some people think that we should forget about that terrible war. But I think that the best thing we can do for Heroes like Vasyl Poryk is to remember them with gratitude.