Uncle Wayne

by Ravyn from Prescott, Canada

My Hero - Uncle Wayne By: Ravyn.
Uncle Wayne with my grandmother (family picture)

My uncle was one of the main people to change my life. He always puts perseverance in everything. My uncle changed my life by showing me perseverance mainly. He showed me perseverance by, well, he is in a wheelchair and he always does stuff that someone not in a wheelchair would do. He still drives a tractor and his van. (The picture at the top is of my uncle 6 years after his accident).

My uncle was 28 years old in 1990 when he got in a four-wheeler accident. The four-wheeler fell on top of him and now he is paralyzed from the top of the belly-button down. He is 50 years old and he has been in a wheelchair for 19 years. My uncle has had perseverance by doing stuff he would do even do if he wasn’t in a wheelchair. My uncle is my hero.

Perseverance he shows: my uncle gets up every day and does what he needs to do, like someone with out a disability. He proves to me that you can be disabled and still be able to live your life. He proves that by driving his tractor and van. He has a garden that he takes care of, and does a lot of stuff by himself. My uncle still works and lives a normal life like he would without a disability.

Courage he shows: Most people would think my uncle would only care for himself because he is in a wheelchair but he actually cares for other people more than himself. This may sound like a lie but it is true. This is why my uncle is my hero. He has all of the traits I like in a hero.

Responsibility he shows: My uncle shows a lot of responsibility by taking care of himself and his family. He also cleans and takes care of his house, and he has a garden he takes care of. He also inspires me by always doing what‘s right. My uncle doesn’t say that he can do anything but I know that he can.