U.S. Marines

by Tyler from North Canton

(http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/12478/872852-marineemblem_super.jpg)

My hero is the United States Marine Corps. The Marines have been serving and protecting the United States citizens in many different ways like from invasions from other countries. Also, they have served in just about every war that America has ever fought in since getting their independence.

The Marines are heroes because of the tasks and objectives they carry out in their everyday life. A marine risks his or her life on a daily basis. The danger of their lives range from being attacked on a patrol, various forms of gunfights, roadside bombs, and other military forces around the world. A marine takes many risks and could lose an arm or a leg. However, they could also pay the ultimate and honorable price, their life. Although a marine lives such a risky life, they are intensely trained to survive these kinds of encounters and know exactly what to do if one of the situations where to accrue and react fast and efficiently. This is why a marine is a hero to many Americans and me.

In our class, our definition of a hero is a kind, respectful person that is always there for you. A hero is someone that saves you from trouble and never gives up, no matter how hard the task is. A hero is someone that you can always look up to. A U.S. Marine fits all aspects of a hero definition. One characteristic a Marine has that also makes him or her a hero is being brave. Marines are brave through the life-risking tasks that they encounter on a day-to-day base. Also, a Marine is a caring solider. They are caring by how they are willing to risk everything to keep the country they live in safe from invaders and protect the rights we have as Americans. Another characteristic I think a Marine has is being an honorable person. Marines are honorable through their training, for the way they care for their country and the people they protect, and for the task they carry out no matter the consequence they may receive from it. These were only a few characteristics of many that a Marine shows in a lifetime. He or she my live and be viewed as a hero.

My hero has many connections to Greek myths and King Arthur and his knights of the Round Table. One of these connections is both Marines and the other two were both in fights in battle for one reason or another. Also, Marines have died an honorable death in these battles, just like Arthur’s men did defending their land. Marines also fight for the same reason Arthur and his men did, freedom. Finally, a Marine is looked up to by many and is well respected like Greek gods and warriors in their myths that risk everything for their people. They are also feared by people as a force of danger like Greek warriors. This is how a Marine connects with King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table and the Greek myths we read.

The United States Marine Corps is one of the most famous military forces in America today that risks their life on a day-to-day basis. They have my respect and the respect of other people for the duties they carry out to protect the free country we live in. This is why the United States Marine Corps is not only my hero but also a hero to many people in America.