Tweety

by Diana Marcosanu from Galati, Romania

You probably think that I am joking when I'm saying that my canary, Tweety, is my hero. I got him when I was 10 years old from my grandmother. He had yellow feathers. I loved him from the first moment my grandmother gave him to me.

He was eating seeds but only from my hand. I bought him a cage where he had a mirror too. All the time he was looking into his mirror and he was twittering happily. I called him "Tweety" because he reminded me of the nice character from the movie "My Tweety". Even if he didn’t look like him, I loved him very much.

One day when he was almost sleeping in the kitchen and my mother was cooking, the telephone rang. My mother went to answer the phone and forgot the water of the wash-basin flowing. After a time the wash-basin was full. When he saw this, Tweety started to scream very loudly. My mother and I heard him twittering and we came to see what happened. My mother switched off the water faucet and "thanked" him.

Since then he became not only my hero but my mother’s hero too. Even if he died I will never forget him because he helped me always when he could.