True Hero

by Martin Rejec from Gimnazija Tolmin, Slovenia

Many people think that a true hero no longer exists but I disagree with this belief because there are a lot of men and women who dedicate their lives to fight crime or save other’s lives. These people are true heroes to me.

First, for a person, a hero can be a fictional character such as Superman or Batman or a person that actually exists. In the first matter children are usually included but not always. Many children have real-life role models, who they can count on and who give them moral encouragement.

In addition, to somebody a hero can be their own family member. I know many cases where a family member fought a battle against cancer and won it. This person was a great hero for his family and relatives.

On the other hand, children nowadays watch television too much and because of its negative influence they often end up lacking moral values. The world of the mass media has become a big and important part of people’s lives and not only children but also many adults suffer the consequences. Therefore, heroes of our time are much different from those in the past.

To sum up, there are many heroes in the world we live today but there are only a few true heroes. Each and every one can find their own true hero, people just need to look deep into their hearts.