A true hero

by Anja from Gimnazija Tolmin, Slovenia

A TRUE HERO NO LONGER EXISTS?

It is believed that a hero is a man distinguished by exceptional courage, nobility and strength. Heroes come in all shapes and ways. True heroes are everywhere around us and we are often unaware of that fact. A hero can be anyone with goodwill to help someone else.

To begin with, there are some people as policemen, firefighters, soldiers, doctors who get up every morning and go to their work to help people and save their lives. If they did not have even a bit of courage to expose themselves to the dangers which come with this kind of work, they would not take such an arduous and responsible job. For example, is it not brave when a firefighter goes into a burning building to save another person´s life? I think that this is true heroism.

Furthermore, it is not believed that true heroes are only people with such brave jobs. A hero is anyone with compassion and goodwill to help people in need without expecting anything else in return. For instance, a young girl who in her free time works in a shelter for homeless people to help them become educated and get a job. In the eyes of those people she is probably seen as their hero. There are also people who raise money for charity to help other people or animals in need. Many people do this but they often go unseen and they are not considered as heroes.

In conclusion, a true hero has always existed and still exists. However, I think that we are too ignorant to see how many mighty and good things people around us do to make a difference in this world. We do not have the right vision of a hero. We are overinfluenced by movies and legends.

A firefighter. (http://blogs.wsj.com/photojournal/2009/05/07/pictures-of-the-day-172/)