My Dad, Toto

by Rhonita from Bandung

To My Beloved Dad

Who is my hero?
My first thoughts about this question were Prophet Muhammad SAW and my father. Why I didn’t say that my mother is my hero? Didn’t she struggle so hard to give you a birth? Well, she is my hero, too. But my father is more inspiring than my mother.

Let me tell you about my father.

My father’s name is Toto. He was born in Blora, Central Java, 7th June. After he was finishing his elementary school, junior high school, and senior high school in Kudus, Central Java, he moved to Bandung and studied in Institut Teknologi Bandung (ITB), in Machine Engineering. He graduated from there in 1984 and he had got a scholarship to study in Lyon, France for 6 years. (He said that those years were one of the most tiring periods of his life). Now, he is a lecturer there.

Why did I tell you about my father’s education history? You know, those things are inspiring me until now.
When I was in junior high school, I started to see my father as a man that has a remarkable intelligence. Not only in his academics, but also in the way he faces his life.
One time, I was shocked when my father still remembered Physics that he learned several years ago. What about me? I didn’t understand that subject although my teacher explained it 3 hours before. He is such a clever man!!!!

There are many more examples! When our family goes ‘mudik’ in Idul Fitri, we meet a lot of people. They always talk to my father about anything (depends on the hottest topic at that time) and he knows about anything. Even about economy! That time, I listened to their conversation carefully and I learned something. My knowledge improved and I received a lot of inspiration about life.

I like his personality! He is so calm, smart, not arrogant, patient, generous, honest, and much more. Don’t imagine him as a boring person. Sometimes he can tell some jokes, too. He is an interesting person. He is so inspiring to me. Because of him, I can determine my way of life. I just want to be like him. He is smart, has great dedication to his job, has a lot of great ideas about life. He also gives me a lot of good examples and he makes me want to be a person who has a great compentency in my next subjects. He is one of the reasons for me to do the best and, one more time, I just want to be like him! I don’t know how to explain it. I am at a loss for words. My father is the one of the best persons in my life.