Terrance Stanly Fox

by Hallie from Bradford

Some day the hurting must stop.

My hero is Terry Fox. Did you know he was the first person ever, who tried to run all the way across Canada with only one real leg? He inspired a lot of people to put their minds on what they believe in, and also to never give up.

Terry and his brothers and sister
Terry and his brothers and sister

Terrance Stanley Fox was born in July 28 1958 in Winnipeg,Manitoba. Terry died in 1981 when he was in his 20's. Terry had five family members: his brother Darrel, his brother Fred, his sister Judith and his mom and dad, Betty and Rolly. Also did you know that when Terry was in high school he was the shortest kid in his 9th grade class? Every year he tried to make the basketball team, but it was hard because he was short. He kept trying to make the basketball team and eventually because he worked so hard, he finally made the team. Terry got his education from Simon Fraser University, also Mary Hill J.R. High School. Terry was always setting challenges for himself when he was young.

Terry`s statue
Terry`s statue

Terry was challenged by the cancer he got in his leg, then as he got older lung cancer. He had his leg amputated just above the knee. It changed Terry's life because it was hard to do things that he did before. Terry had many obstacles like bone cancer, also getting his leg amputated. Plus he had to get over being homesick when he was on the run across Canada. At the beginning, not many people were cheering him on, but as he got more well known, he became very famous in Canada.

Terry Fox
Terry Fox

Terry had lots of actions like he tried to run all across Canada so he could raise money for cancer research. His goal was to raise one dollar for every Canadian for the run. If he did that, he would have raised 20 million dollars. Also, he would run on the side of the road and he would persevere, even though there was nobody half his way around cheering him on. Plus he showed courage because he never gave up on his goals no matter how tough they were. Terry accomplished raising money for cancer research. Terry did not accomplish running all the way across Canada. Another achievement is he accomplished school and getting around all of his obstacles, when he was running.

Terry Fox speaking in Tronto
Terry Fox speaking in Tronto

Terry showed perseverance because he never gave up on what he believed in. He also showed determination by setting goals for himself and doing his best to reach them. Also, last but not least, Terry showed optimism because Terry always had hope for the future, no matter how bad it was. I found Terry had lots of character traits but these three were the best that described him.

Terry influenced me because he ran almost all the way around Canada to raise money for cancer, even though he only had one real leg. Also because he did not give up on his goal of going all the way around Canada. One more thing is he influenced me because he succeeded on all of his goals.

I chose Terry Fox as my hero because he was a great person and also because he taught a lot of people to never give up and try hard! Terry Fox is my hero!