Terry Fox

by Zalak from Bradford

Even if I don't finish we need others to continue. It's got to go on without me.
Terry Fox followed by friends
Terry Fox followed by friends

Do you want to know who my hero is? Well I'm going to tell you. My hero is Terry Fox. Did you know that Terry Fox's leg was amputated because he had cancer then he decided to run across Canada for cancer research with one leg and one fake leg? Is that hard or what? Can you run across Canada like that?

Terry Fox with cars behind him
Terry Fox with cars behind him

My hero is Terry Fox. Terry was born in Winnipeg Manitoba July 28 1958. He went to a university called Simon Frasier. Terry had one sister called Judith and two brothers called Fred and Darrel. He had an interesting fact from youth; it was his high school teacher who suggested that he join the cross-country team.

Terry Fox running
Terry Fox running

My hero had some obstacles to overcome. One of the obstacles is cancer because he had cancer on his right leg so they had to cut it off and he had to put on a fake leg. When he went running he took 3 extra legs just in case one of them broke while he was running.

A statue of Terry Fox
A statue of Terry Fox

My hero accomplished several things. First, when he started running nobody paid attention to him but when he reached Toronto everyone started to pay attention to him. After they gave him more money. His goal was to get one dollar from every person, however, one time he got 20 dollars from only one person.

Terry Fox running in the daylight
Terry Fox running in the daylight

My hero Terry Fox had perseverance. He kept on running even though it was hard for him to run. My hero has another character trait, it is caring because he ran for cancer research and he cared about the people that had cancer.

My hero influenced me and others by never giving up on my goal. Even if I have to go through so many obstacles and pain I still finish my goal. I made a goal. I have to finish my goal by myself, nobody can help me. You shouldn't let somebody help you so finish your goal, you need to finish it by yourself.

I think you know a lot about my hero Terry Fox by now. If you want to know more about Terry Fox go to the Terry Fox site.