Terry Fox

by Joey from Bradford, Ontario, Canada

Anything is possible if you try.
Terry Fox Running for cancer.
Terry Fox Running for cancer.

Terry Fox is one of Canada’s most encouraging and amazing teenagers. He is no ordinary hero, he is my hero!

Terry Stanley Fox was born in Winnipeg Manitoba and on July 28, 1958. He went to JR. Secondary School, Port Coquitlam Secondary School and Simon Fraser University. He was in a family of 6, including his mom, Betty; his dad, Rolly; his two brothers, Fred and Darrel and his sister, Judith. Terry was determined and stubborn, that’s why I think he never stopped running.

His biggest influences were the kids with cancer in the hospital. Another very big influence was Dick Traum, a one legged runner from New York. I think he got his courage.

He ran 42 Kilometers every day, through all kinds of weather. Terry would never stop for more than ten minutes, and only to eat or ease his pain. He was determined to fight cancer. Terry spoke publicly, promoting his cause. He visited other children with amputated legs, giving them hope and courage. He started the biggest organized fundraiser in the world to raise funds for cancer research, called the Terry Fox Foundation. At 22 years of age, he received the Order of Canada, the highest award for any citizen possible. He received the Lou March trophy for "Outstanding Athletic achievement". He is in the Sports Hall of Fame. The Marathon of Hope raised 24 Million dollars. Terry is in the Guinness Book of World Records for top fund raiser. He even has a mountain named after him. 10 cents of every dollar raised by his foundation goes to fund raising, 3 cents to Administration and 87 cents to Cancer research.

Caring-Terry was caring because he cared for kids and adults with cancer and wanted to do something to help them.

Empathy- He is empathetic because he put himself in someone else's shoes,. and put there needs first.

Respect-He is respectfully because he has respect for others and himself.

He influences me because he ran for other kids with cancer. I will always remember him! HE IS MY HERO!!!!!

At the age of 22, Terry Fox accomplished more with one leg then anyone can do in their whole lifetime. He is outstanding!

Websites,WWW.Terry Fox Run.org books,Terry Fox A Story Of Hope.Author,Maxine Trottier and published 2005.

Trottier, Maxine . Terry Fox A Story of Hope. Toronto: Scholastic Canada Limited, 2005.