Terrance Stanly Fox

by Becca from Bradford

Even if I don't finish we need others to continue. It's got to keep going without me.

Terry Stanley Fox is the first Canadian to ever try to run across Canada with an artificial leg. He has inspired almost all Canadians. He was one person with one dream of finding the cure for cancer. He helps Canadians have hope for the future and believe.

The map of the route Terry took
The map of the route Terry took

Terrance Stanley Fox was born July 28, 1958 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Terry was in a family of six: Fred the big brother, then Terry, Darrel, Judith, his father Rolly and mother Betty. When Terry was in public school he loved sports like hockey, soccer and baseball. Terry was short for his age and he was determined to make the basketball team, so he would practice every day with Doug to get better and better. Terry's coach even told him to try cross country running to help him get even better at basketball.

Terry faced some tough challenges and obstacles in his short life. First he had to get over being short and not having as good a chance as all the tall boys so he started practicing every day with Doug. Terry's coach told him to try out for the cross country team to help with basketball. Another obstacle is Terry soon after was having knee problems so his parents took him to the hospital to get his knee checked. The docter discovered that Terry had cancer in his right knee and had to get it amputated. That was devastating for Terry and his family.

Terry's had a lot of achievments in his life. He made the High School basketball team. Terry got his degrees in High School and University. When Terry was younger he was a very responsible boy. He was able to get a job when he was little. Terry had great actions. He ran almost half way across Canada for cancer research. Then tragically the cancer spread to Terry's lungs and soon after he died.

In Terry's 22 years of life he had displayed perseverance, not only when he was the shortest one in high school trying out for the basketball team, but when he was doing his marathon of hope. He had a lot of courage when he had bone cancer in his leg and when he was on his run. Terry had one goal: to make a difference for people with cancer. Terry had integrity when he was running. He was proud of himself.

Terry influences me when he got bone cancer and when he needed his leg amputated because it made me more aware of people with cancer. He also influenced me by his marathon of hope because he had an amputated leg and he would not give up running.

In conclusion Terry Fox was a great person with one great dream of helping people with cancer and making people more aware of cancer and cancer research in my opinion Terry Fox is a great hero and a great person.

Terry Fox and the Terry Fox Foundation - Learn more about the power of human potential.