Terry Fox

by Summer from Bradford

We're there to show our sympathy.. we're there to show our support and that we care whatever gift is going to be appreciated
Terry Fox
Terry Fox

Have you ever overcome a goal that you thought was impossible? Well my hero did. My hero is Terry Fox, a very generous man who set his mind to running across Canada for people that have cancer. Terry Fox had cancer in his right leg and he had to get it amputated so he had to hop across Canada with one real leg and a fake leg and unfortunately it spread to his lungs.

Loonie (Canadian coin) with image of Terry Fox

Terry Fox was born July 28, 1958, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He went to Mary Hill Elementary School and these are his family members: his mom's name is Betty and his dad's name is Rolly and he has two brothers Darrell and Fred and a sister whose name is Judith. When he was young he found out that he had cancer in his right leg and it encouraged him to run across Canada to cure cancer. Also he was in the grade 8 basketball team but he was the shortest on the team.

Terry Fox's obstacle was that he planned to run across Canada to raise money to find a cure for cancer. He had cancer in his right leg so he had to run a different way across Canada. He didn't finish. He didn't finish the run because the cancer spread to his lungs and he was forced to stop running. He died because of the cancer. Terry's actions were that he ran and hopped across Canada to quit cancer for people. Terry Fox died because he had leg cancer and he had it amputated but the cancer spread to his lungs.

One of the character traits is that he is caring. He tried to run across Canada but he didn't use his fame for fame, he used it to run across Canada to raise money for cancer research.

Terry fox influences me because he set his mind to running across Canada. Even though he had cancer in his right leg and had to get it amputated. That didn't stop him to running across Canada but then he had to stop because it spread to his lungs.

Terry Fox is a very kind man and should not be forgotten. He ran across Canada and he risked his life so he could save other people's lives that had cancer.

Trottier, Maxine. Terry Fox. Markham Ontario: Scholastic Canada Ltd., 2005.