steve nash

by Kieran from Bradford

Do you ever dream of being in the NBA, winning MVP two years in a row and being Canadian?

MY HERO (Steve Nash pictures)
MY HERO (Steve Nash pictures)

Steve Nash was born in Johannesburg, South Africa on February 7, 1974. He went to Santa Clara University in California and led the Broncos to the NCAA tournament 3 out of his 4 years with the university.

My hero was influenced by Michael Jordan, Isiah Thomas and Magic Johnson. He was most influenced by Isiah Thomas and how he played a floor game. Steve Nash is 6'3" and that is pretty short for a basketball player, so he also likes to play a floor game and not too high in the air.

He went to a small high school so he didn't get a lot of exposure to universities. His high school coach helped him overcome this obstacle by sending a video of him playing basketball to over 30 universities in hope of a scholarship.

Floor game (REUTERS/ Rick Scuteri)
Floor game (REUTERS/ Rick Scuteri)

Steve Nash has a foundation that gives abused and not cared for children equipment to play sports and he also founded Steve Nash Youth Basketball. He was the first Canadian to win NBA MVP two years in a row. He also gave up playing soccer to try basketball.

My hero displays perseverance and bravery. He shows bravery because even though he is 6'3" and the net is ten feet high, he still tried to slam dunk the net and he did. He showed perseverance because he wanted to win MVP and he did two years in a row.

3 pointer (yahoo sports.com)
3 pointer (yahoo sports.com)

My hero influences me to keep trying and never give up and if you set your mind to it you can do anything.

There are lots of talented basketball players in the NBA but I think Steve is the best one!