Severn Cullis-Suzuki

by Kelsey from Prescott, Canada

Severn Cullis-Suzuki is my hero. She is my hero because she is an environmentalist, and she is also Canadian.

She was born on November 30th 1979 in Vancouver British Columbia. Severn grew up in Vancouver and attended Lord Tennyson Elementary School. At age six Severn started helping the environment in little ways. She would sell her father’s (David Suzuki) books at yard sales. She only made twenty-five cents per book but she gave the money to the native land claims.

By grade five she has started an organization, the Environmental Children’s Organization. This organization was about learning and teaching other kids about the environment. Since then Severn has spoken in many places, and finished school with a Bachelor of Science degree.

One of the main reasons I think that Severn is a hero is because even when she was little she wasn’t thinking about herself. She was six and making money for the native land claims in B.C. I have never known anyone that young that tries to help others and places. It may not have been the hugest difference but every bit helps.

Another reason that I think she is my hero is because she created her own organization. She was only ten years old when she and her friends made the ECO (Environmental Children’s Organization). The ECO is committed to helping to inform other kids about environmental issues. I think that it is amazing that a ten year old can do so much.

The last reason that I think that Severn is a hero is because she continues to do things for the environment. Since she was ten she has continued to speak in some places. For example when she was 12 she gave a speech at the Rio Earth Summit. She has also hosted a TV show and co-edited a book. And Severn is currently on BC’s Citizen’s Conservation Council on Climate Change.

I admire Severn for the many things that she did towards the environment. And I think that anyone who does things like these are heroes too.