Solomiya Krushelnytska

by Nastya from Kirovograd

Solomiya Krushelnytska
Solomiya Krushelnytska

Singer (lyric-dramatic soprano), teacher.

Born on September 23, 1872, in the village of Biliavytsi in Ternopil Oblast, Ms. Krushelnytska’s exceptional vocal abilities were immediately apparent and she began performing at age 11.

In 1891 she began her studies at the Lviv Conservatory, which she completed two years later. During this time, Krushelnytska made her first solo performance, executing the lead vocal in Handel’s “Messiah”. By 1894 she was drawing her own audiences at the Lviv Opera House.

Krushelnytska’s talent brought her worldwide fame, and she performed in Italy, France, Egypt and Argentina. During more than 35 years of performing, she remained active in Ukrainian cultural life and consistently performed in Ukrainian cities.

After living in Italy for 40 years, Krushelnytska decided to permanently settle in Lviv in 1939 after her Italian husband died. She became a professor at the Lysenko Conservatory and began teaching there in 1944.

She died on November 16, 1952, and was buried next to her friend, Ivan Franko, in the Lychakiv Cemetery.