Earthkeepers

Steve Irwin

by Raj from Shelter Bay

The Crocodile Hunter was a great man. His real name was Steve Irwin. He was born on February 22, 1962 in Australia. His wife’s name is Terri Irwin. His daughter's name is Bindi and his son's name is Robert.

Steve Irwin was an animal lover. He got a 12 foot scrud python on his 6th birthday. After he was 9 year old, he started to handle crocodiles. When he was a teenager, he started to work at the Australian Zoo. In 1992, when he was about 30 years old, he made a movie called "The Crocodile Hunter". Sadly, after the movie was done, his mother died. She never saw the movie. When the movie was finished and it was a big success, Steve started creating a TV series that was shown on Animal Planet.

Steve and the Croc (http://www.synthstuff.com/mt/archives/steve_irwin_croc.jpg)

When he was working at the zoo, he took care of the animals. His favourite animal was the crocodile. He got bit by the animals many times. He never cared because he knew that the animals were doing their jobs. His best accomplishment was that the zoo he was working at saved over 20 animals from the endangered list.

Steve was always going around the world on his show, telling people about animals. He saved animals around the world. He told the world to take care of animals in need of help.

Steve Irwin was a nice man. He loved to help animals and cared for them. He is also was very adventurous because he traveled to a lot of places like Asia, Africa, Europe, North America, South America and Australia. Steve was very brave. He often got hurt by the animals, but he never cried or yelled.

One day when he was producing a TV show, he was holding a poisonous animal called a stingray. It stung his heart. As a result of that accident, he died in September 4th, 2006 in Asia.

He is my hero because he saved animals. He saved animals because animals cannot save themselves.