Chief Red Cloud

by Barrett, The Community School, 3rd Grade, Sun Valley, ID, USA

Chief Red Cloud
Chief Red Cloud

Have you ever thought of being a leader of thousands of people? Red Cloud, a Sioux chief was one of the most courageous warriors in the Sioux tribe. He was a peace-loving fighter. He fought when he had to but wanted his people to be peaceful. The Sioux nation were a very spiritual people. Every year men would have to make a sacrifice to the Gods.

Chief Red Cloud was born in 1822 and died in 1909. He started out being a warrior and by 1860 he had his own band of warriors. Then he became a chief. He was the only chief that won a battle against the U.S. The war started when the government wanted to make a trail that would go through 3 tribes including the Sioux. The trail would go through the Sioux’s sacred land, which was their burial grounds in the Black Hills. Chief Red Cloud and the Sioux nation refused to let the government to build the trail. Chief Red Cloud gathered 2000 warriors and massacred 80 soldiers The U.S government would build 3 forts on the trail. When the Sioux won the last war they happily set fire to the forts. He wanted his people peaceful. He won the first war against the U.S and kept his land safe. But he did sign a treaty that put him on reservation and did not know it. The government did not even tell what the treaty did. Chief Red Cloud became blind and was removed as chief.

Chief Red Cloud was a hero because he was the only chief who won a battle against the U.S. He only fought when he had to. Chief Red Cloud was a good leader and a peaceful person. I admire that he fought for his people and stood up for them against the U.S.

PBS. "PBS The West." [Online] Available http://www.pbs.org/weta/thewest/people/i_r/redcloud.htm.