Robert Scott

by Yulya from Samara, Russia

Robert Scott (http://www.mary-woodbridge.co.uk/images/idols/scott2.jpg)

Who is a hero? I think it’s a person whо helps people and make our life better. There are different heroes. Some of them are famous people, others are unknown but they are very important, too. I think that all people have them own heroes.

My hero, for example, is Robert Scott. Scott was a British explorer. He was born on 6 June, 1868. He led two expeditions to the Antarctic regions. Scott and Amundsen started their journeys in the polar spring. Amundsen was the first to leave in October, 1911. He had teams of dogs pulling their sledges and all his men were on skis. Because of this, he made good progress. Scott left in November and soon had problems. First, his two motor sledges broke down and then his ponies began to have serious difficulty with the snow and the cold. After a while, Scott and his men had to push the sledges themselves.

When Scott’s expedition arrived at the Pole, the men felt disappointed because they found the Norwegian flag there. But the expedition wasn’t completely unsuccessful because on their way back, they looked for rocks and fossils as planned. Later, these rocks proved that in the distant past Antarctica was covered by plants.

The expedition was disastrous but Scott is a legend in the world of exploration. He and his men are remembered for their bravery in the face of great difficulty.

This person is important to me because I want to be brave and honest as Scott. His life teaches me to be purposeful and to be a true friend.

Robert Scott - Wikipedia