Ryan Hreljac

by Mac from Vancouver, Canada

Ryan Hreljac

My hero is Ryan Hreljac and he is from North Grenville, just south of Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. I picked him because he inspired me to help the world too and he does a lot of things to help out the world.

It all started when a six-year-old boy named Ryan Hreljac was learning about Africa in his first grade class. Ryan's teacher Mrs. Prest, told the class about the difficult life of children in Africa. The teacher told them that the children there have to drink dirty water. So for the next four months he started to raise $400 for a well. But then he heard that he would have to raise $2000 dollars to build the entire well. He would have to do a lot of chores to earn the money.

When he went to Uganda he met someone named Jimmy and Jimmy was Ryan's pen pal. So they stared talking and then they started to give wells to other countries. Ryan started the Ryan's Well Foundation which helps raise money to buy wells for countries who don't have clean water to drink.

I wrote Ryan a letter telling him how he inspired me and he wrote me back. He told me how 6000 children die each day because of waterbourne diseases. He told me it is possible to help others no matter how old you are. Ryan is now 17 years old and in his last year of High School at Michael's High School in Kemptville.

Ryan Hreljac - MY HERO story by Wendy Jewell
Ryan's Well Foundation

Ryan told me that 6000 children die each day because of waterbourne diseases. He also inspired me by saying that it is possible to help others, no matter how old you are.