Robert J. Evans

by Colton and Hunter from Reeds Spring

You can't defend your country with one person; you have to have a team.
Grandpa (right) (Mark Evans)
Grandpa (right) (Mark Evans)

We think a hero is someone who is brave. We are writing about Robert J. Evans because he fought in WWII. He was a Marine.

University card after the war (Mark Evans)

He is a hero because he protected our country. I wish he could have come home earlier because we almost lost him. One time, during a battle, while running to fight he was shot in the shoulder by the enemy. After he was shot he spent the day laying on dead bodies before his friends saw him twitch and they picked him up and brought him to the hospital. After his injury, he fought one last time.

(Mark Evans )
(Mark Evans )

He fought at Peleliu, Cape Gloucester, and Guadalcanal. He joined the marines at 17 years old, but to fight you have to be 18 so his mom signed a paper that said he was able to go. He was in the military for 4 years. He went to WWII in 1942. He is 85 years old and still living. I enjoy spending my summer vacations “huckleberry hunting” with my grandpa at his home in Idaho.