Oprah Winfrey

by Mackenzie from Innisfil

My hero is Oprah Winfrey. Oprah was born January 29, 1954, in Kosciusko, Mississippi. She grew up in the Milwaukee ghetto. Her family members are Vernon her dad, Vernita her mom, Hattie-mae her grandma, and her half brother who died from Aids. Oprah Winfrey is very smart, she skipped 2 grades! Oprah could read before she was 3! At age 13 Oprah won a scholarship to an upscale high school! Oprah was voted most popular. Oprah was on the speech team and won a speech contest that got her a scholarship to Tennessee State University, wow!

Oprah has two main influences in her life, her first influence is Rosa Parks. Her influence is Rosa Parks because she has made a difference for African-Americans and African-American women. Oprah's other influence is Coretta Scott King because Coretta is a strong African-American woman like Rosa Parks.

Oprah Winfrey has had a lot of challenges in her life. Oprah was born into poverty, she was raped at a young age. She was also molested by her cousin, uncle and family friend. Oprah had a big challenge of being black. Oprah was pregnant at the young age of 14, she didn't know who the father was which was pretty scary for her.

Oprah has done lots of amazing things, she has done TV shows and magazines. She also has a charity called "Oprah's Angel Network". It is to help people to help other people. Oprah pays her employees with her own money. She donates a lot of money to charities. She is great. She has donated $303 million to charity. She donated $11 million to the Hurricane Katrina relief fund. She has a school for girls in South Africa called Oprah Winfrey Leadership Academy. She helps people through her TV shows and book club. She has people like Dr. Mehmet Oz on frequently to help people understand their health.

She has a genuine interest in helping other people be amazing. She is thoughtful, heroic, unselfish, generous, influential, intelligent and funny without being arrogant. I have a great hero, Oprah Winfrey. She is my hero because of all the amazing things she has done with her life. She has done so much for people in need, she cares about everyone and that is why she is my hero.