Nasir Jones

by Jimmy from Mississauga

Hi my name is Jimmy and my hero is Nasir Jones. Here’s a little biography and reasons why he’s my hero.

Nasir Jones born September 14, 1973, better known by his alias Nas, formerly Nasty Nas, is an American rapper. Son of jazz musician Olu Dara, Nas is well known for his first album released in 1994 Illmatic. This album made it official that Nas was and still is one of hip-hop's most creative lyricists, introducing his original poetic and story telling style.

Nas' birth name Nasir means "helper and protector" in Arabic. His father, Olu Dara was a jazz trumpeter and his mother Fannie Ann Jones was a postal service worker. He has one sibling, a brother named Jabari. Nas dropped out of school in the eighth grade. He educated himself, reading about African culture and civilization, and the Qur'an. He also studied the origin of what started hip hop music.

Nasir Jones, hip hop's most poetic artist since 1994, has been making music that has been influencing his listeners. Nasir Jones, also known as Nas, is my hero. These three reasons represent why he’s my hero; he can make songs that relate to their everyday life, he influences his listeners, and the way his music makes me feel.

Nasir Jones, also known as Nas by alias, is my hero because I love his music. He can make one song and make connections through his wordplay. His music is positive and something the listener can relate to. He speaks about things the youth is going through or went through. I feel as if I'm learning when I listen to his music. He feeds us wise knowledge through his music to our ears so we can gain and relate to his perspective and the way he looks at things.

I chose Nasir Jones is because, his talent is an inspiration and influence to me. When I sit down and put his album in my computer, I can just sit back and listen to his albums for hours and won’t get bored of it. I also get the adrenalin to get a piece of paper and pen and start writing. People when they think about rap/hip hop they often think its bad and all these artist do is rap about money, girls, and drugs. But there’s a lot more behind it, there’s a story and the artist is trying to get a message to you.

I chose Nasir Jones because his music just makes me feel good inside. It refreshes my mind, and relieves all the stress and anger that I have. His music makes me think to myself, it makes me think about what I want to be when I grow up, makes me think about the future, makes me want to do something with my life. And I know if his music is getting at me like that then it must be phasing other people too. Nowadays people just buy artist’s albums because of one song. But Nas can make a whole album great!