My Brother Matej

by Jurij from Trnovo, Slovenia

Heroes aren't people who have super powers. Heroes are also normal people who save lives. To be a hero you don't have to save lots of people. Infact, you don't even have to save humans. A hero is also someone who saves an animal. And that is exactly what my brother did.

When i was about 10 years old, my class and I went camping in nature and my lizard got seriously ill. But I couldn't have done anything, because I hadn`t been informed of his situation. So my brother and my parents tried to help him.They took him to several veterinarians, but they couldn't help him. When they almost put him to sleep, my brother convinced them not to give up. He was confident to find a solution and never given up. He searched for a way to help him. Eventually he did find a way to help. It turned out that the lamp in his terrarium was too hot. So we just switched the lamp. When I came home, my lizard was not cured, but it was getting better. And now he's in perfect condition.

Although my brother and I fight a lot, he knew what my lizard means to me and that something had to be done right away. He knew that by helping my lizard he actually helped me. And I'm very grateful for that. At that moment his true side showed up...his helping side.

Jurij Kurinčič, Primary school Trnovo, Slovenia.