Manny Ramirez

by Andy from Alpharetta, Georgia

I wrote this essay about Manny Ramirez

Manuel "Manny" Aristides Ramirez Onelcida is famous baseball slugger Manny Ramirez’s full name. He was born on May 30, 1972 in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. He plays left field for the Los Angeles Dodgers. He is 36 years old and has won 9 silver slugger awards and he is number 2 in the most grand slams of all time.

This 12 time all-star has a very interesting life off of the field. In 2004 he missed a game to become a United States citizen. In the game after that he ran onto the field carrying an American flag. He and his wife have 3 kids. But on the field, he has moments. Some people call them "Manny moments" or "Manny being Manny." Once during a pitching change, he disappeared and was nowhere to be found. Also he sometimes misses line drives and grounders, but he makes it look good.

Manny has an outstanding bat. He has 2,329 hits and 527 homeruns total in his career and in almost every game, these stats go up. Some more of his awards are: being in the ‘’Latino Legends Team’’ of Major League Baseball, being the 2004 World Series MVP, and 2 time Hank Aaron award winner. He is also one of the 24 men who have hit 500 homers. His Major league debut was in 1993 with the Cleveland Indians. After 14 years in the majors, (after 2008) he has made over 162,149,269 dollars. During the off-season, he lives in Florida.

He grew up in the Dominican Republic, but his family got relocated to Washington Heights, a mostly Dominican neighborhood in New York in 1985, and he joined them. There, he played outfield at George Washington High School for 3 years. (1989-1991)After High School, the Cleveland Indians drafted him as the 13th pick of the 1991 draft.

Manny Ramirez is my hero because he is my favorite baseball player. I started watching him when I began baseball. He always pulls stunts like appearing in the Green Monster on his phone and when he was in the locker room while he was supposed to be playing left field. That is why Manny is my hero.