Mel Blount

by James from Wheeling, West Virginia

Mel Blount - modest hall of famer
Mel Blount - modest hall of famer

My hero is Mel Blunt. He is my hero because he changed the way people look at football. The old rule was you can hit the receiver. Mel didn't like that rule. He worked very hard to change it. He really is a renowned man.

Mel Blount was born in Georgia. He grew up there, too. He eventually went to a college called Southern University. He was then drafted to the National Football League (NFL). He originally wanted to play for the Saints but was drafted to the Pittsburgh Steelers.That is where his story really becomes famous.

He was placed at cornerback for the Steelers. A corner's job is to make sure the receiver doesn't catch the ball. The rule was you were allowed to hit the receiver once the ball was thrown 5 yards. Mel thought that was unfair. He then smacked the receiver and intercepted the ball. He did this so many times that the NFL changed the rule. There was now a penalty called pass interference. You are not allowed to hit the receiver until he touches the ball. Mel had won the battle.

Mel Blount is modest and thankful. After he changed the rule, he didn't brag about what he did. He could have bragged and became full of himself. Instead, he was modest and thought nothing of what he did. He was just happy to change the rule. A few years later, he was voted into the NFL Hall Of Fame.

Mel Blount still helps people today and is as modest as ever. He now has a youth home in Pennsylvania. Mel Blount deserves a lot more than he thinks. He really deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. His Legend will last for a long long time. He really is a noble man.

The Mel Blount Youth Home of Pennsylvania - Responsibility, Knowledge, Respect