Maria Semenova

by Leonid from Murom

Maria Semenova is a famous Russian Writer. She was among the founders of "Slavic fantasy". Her books tell us about ancient Russian history, and I think that everybody should read her books.

Maria Semenova has been interested in literature since childhood. She wrote her first book in 1980; but it was not published. Her first published book was "Swans are flying away"(1989). That time, Maria Semenova was a translator and she had to translate a lot of English fantasy books into Russian. But she did not like "traditional Tolkien's fantasy", and created her own "Slavic fantasy" which is very popular in Russia nowadays.

It is impossible to write a plausible story if you haven't tried things you write about. That's why Maria Semenova has been studying Aikido for several years to show the scenes of fights. She attended "school of magic" to show exactly the topic of sorcery and paganism.

M. Semenova's book.
M. Semenova's book.

Maria Semenova is so precise in writing and describing things that she can be really called a "Russian Tolkien". She is my hero because her books can tell us about ancient Russia and they show the importance of being brave and fair. Reading her books you will understand that your family is the main thing in your life - that a man who doesn't follow his ideals, betrays himself.

Her books have had so great impression on me and influenced my character that I recommend everybody to read them too.