Margret Reed

by Tatum, The Community School, 3rd Grade, Sun Valley, ID, USA

Margret Reed
Margret Reed

Ever wanted to cross the Donner Pass in a covered wagon? This is exactly what Margret Reed did. She left Springfield on April 14, 1846 and survived extreme conditions while crossing Donner Pass with her 13 year old daughter, Virginia Reed.

Margret Reed was born in Virginia on March 31, 1814. She took her four children Martha 8, James Jr. 5, Thomas 3, and Virginia 13 and left for the wagon train with her husband James. The wagon train was named the Donner Party because there were so many Donners but the Reeds started it. Margret Reed went to California because she had bad health.

covererd wagon
covererd wagon

She had two husbands, one died of cholera when 23 and the other got banned from the wagon train because he killed someone to survive. Margret was so desperate to cross the mountain that she took Virginia and left her three younger kids with the other families. Not long after Margret and Virginia left they had to turn back because of bad weather. All of her children survived in the crossing of the mountain.

After the trip her sick headaches never returned. She had another kid but he died at the age of 9. Margret was about 47 when she died. She died because her health was still bad. At Margret’s deathbed she had her mom, sister, and husband beside her. She said that there was a bright light that the curtains could not shut out. She is still famous because she saved her children while crossing the Donner Pass.

Donner Pass
Donner Pass

Margret Reed is a hero because she saved her five children while crossing the Donner Pass during winter in a covered wagon. I think she is very brave and inspirational. Next time I am cold and tired while ski racing, I will think of Margaret and how she persevered and survived.