Maya Lin

by Connor from Westerville

(Drawn by Connor)
(Drawn by Connor)

Maya Lin was born October 5th, 1959. She was born in the U.S.A, in the state of Ohio. Maya was born in Athens, Ohio. Maya’s father was Henry Huan Lin a ceramicist. Her mother Julia Chang Lin was a teacher and poet. Also, her older brother Tan who, like his mother, is a poet. Maya loved to hike and do bird watches. She built miniature towns. Also, she liked to read.

(Drawn by Connor)
(Drawn by Connor)

Maya Lin married a man named Daniel Wolf in 1966. Daniel was an art dealer and collector. Maya and Daniel had two children. Maya served on the Southern Law Center’s Teaching Tolerance project. She was a art teacher at Ohio University.

(Drawn by Connor)
(Drawn by Connor)

Jan Scruggs was a Vietnam soldier and wanted to remember the people lost. He raised money to make a memorial. There was a contest for the design and Maya entered and won. Maya built a park for Grand Rapids in 1999. She won the Vietnam design in 1981. Maya published an autobiography called Boundaries in 2000.

(Drawn by Connor)
(Drawn by Connor)

In 1981 the game Pac Man was invented. The Challenger (a space shuttle) exploded on 1/28/86. Also in the 1980’s, the Berlin wall fell down on 11/9/89.

(Drawn by Connor)
(Drawn by Connor)

Maya Lin is an artist, architect and author. She is currently working on many projects. She lives in the state of Vermont. Maya is independent, caring, creative, enthusiastic and responsible. She designed something that gave veterans the respect they needed. I think she is a hero to me because she helped make something great in the U.S.A.