Mary Ingalls

by Blake, The Community School, 3rd Grade, Sun Valley, ID, USA

Mary Ingalls (right) with her sisters.
Mary Ingalls (right) with her sisters.

Have you ever heard of a blind girl living on a prairie? Well, that was Mary Ingalls, a brave woman. She went through life when she was blind from scarlet fever in the 1800’s. Her sister Laura helped her through life with working on the prairie.

Mary Ingalls was born in 1865. She lived in Pepin, Wisconsin. One of her sisters did not have scarlet fever, her name was Laura. Mary was the oldest out of 4 children. She is blind so Laura has to help her do things and see for her. Mary doesn’t get to do a lot of stuff her sister does. Mary tries to live a normal life and she did but she was blind and very special.

Mary graduated from a college for blind kids. Mary died of a stroke at 63 years old. She was important because Mary inspired lots of girls who were blind to live a normal life on the prairie and be themselves.

I think that Mary Ingalls is a hero because she showed us how hard it was to be a pioneer child when she was blind. She shows us that she can do everything that other people can do when they are not blind. She inspires blind people to not give up!