Modern Day Heroes

by Alja from Tolmin, Slovenia

MODERN DAY SILENT HEROES HAVE THE SAME QUALITIES AS THE ADMIRED ANCIENT ONES

When one thinks of a word a hero, the first picture that comes to mind is that of a Greek or Roman warrior, muscular, tall and just returning from the battle, admired and worshipped by the people. In contrast, today’s heroes live silent lives and are usually not that famous.

A person in need being helped. (Self copyrighted work)

To begin with, what makes a hero are his or her qualities which have not changed since the ancient history. Those qualities are bravery, intelligence, pure heartedness and an admirable ability to solve problems or tasks given. Despite that, the overall appearance has changed dramatically. We no longer see muscular men running off to battle like the ancient heroes did, the heroes are also no longer admired and they live quiet lives.

Taking everything into account, modern day heroes are not warriors. They are doctors, who work hard and cross the boundaries of known science and medicine to save lives, modern day heroes are soldiers who work hard to protect their countries no matter the cost and above all, modern day heroes are special individuals who go far beyond their abilities and make remarkable achievements while paying no attention to their disabilities or handicaps.

All things considered, one can see that heroes still have the same attributes as they have always had and are still remarkable personalities, even if their appearance is different and still deserve as much gratitude and admiration as they have always had.