Margaret Peterson Haddix

by Abby from Westerville

(Drawn by Abby)
(Drawn by Abby)

Margaret Peterson Haddix was born on April 9, 1964. She was born and raised in Washington Court House, Ohio. Her mother’s name is Marilee Peterson. Her father’s name is Albert Peterson. She has two brothers and a sister. She went to Miami Trace High School. There she acted in school plays, played the flute and the piccolo in the school band and she worked on the school newspaper.

(Drawn by Abby)
(Drawn by Abby)

Her parents were always recommending books and telling stories, but they never liked to write. Her parents were amazed when she told them she wanted to be a writer! Margaret grew up on a farm. So when they had fairs she would show hogs. Margaret Peterson Haddix went to Miami University of Ohio. She traveled to many places during college to study.

(Drawn by Abby)
(Drawn by Abby)

Mrs. Haddix has two children; Meredith and Connor. Her husband Doug Haddix is a newspaper editor. Before Margaret became famous for her books, she was a journalist for the newspaper, a community college instructor, and then she became a freelance writer.

(Drawn by Abby)
(Drawn by Abby)

Mrs. Haddix didn’t just become a writer. A lot of things shaped her before she sent her first novel to an editor. Her parents were always telling her stories as you read earlier. When she was a journalist for the newspaper she was hungry for fiction not facts. Also when she was a child almost everybody she knew was a farmer or nurse like her parents. She wanted to be something different like an author. Obviously that fantasy became a reality. Her first book Running Out of Time got an ALA best book for young adults award. Her next four novels were also chosen for the ALA best book for young adults award.

(Drawn by Abby)
(Drawn by Abby)

When Margaret released her first book Running Out of Time in 1995, the internet became a huge hit. The hit movie Toy Story came out and so did a newer version of Dr. Seuss’s Daisy Head Mayzie.

Instead of setting time off for her books she had to write while her children were sleeping! Unfortunately her stories were rejected several times before they published. Mrs. Haddix currently lives in Powell, Ohio. She is the author of several books including the Shadow Children series. She inspires many people to work hard and as you know, it is extremely hard to get books published.

Haddix, Margaret Peterson. "Margaret Peterson Haddix." [Online] Available www.haddixbooks.com.

Thinkquest.com, .. "Haddix, Margaret Peterson." [Online] Available http://library.thinkquest.org/J0110073/Author.html.

Wands, D.C., and L.E. Dickinson. "Margaret Peterson Haddix." [Online] Available http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/h/margaret-peterson-haddix/.

Schuster, Simon and. "Margaret Peterson Haddix." [Online] Available http://authors.simonandschuster.com/Margaret-Peterson-Haddix/20539155/author_revealed.

Drew, Bernard A.. 100 More Popular Young Adult Authors Biographical Sketches and Bibliographies.