Maryanne Bickerdyke

by Sabrina from Westerville

(Drawn by Sabrina)
(Drawn by Sabrina)

Mary Ann Bickerdyke was born on July 19, 1817. She was born near Mount Vernon, Ohio. She is an Ohio hero because she was a civil war nurse. Her dad's name was Hiram Ball. Her mom's name was Annie Rogers- Ball. She had no brothers or sisters, she was an only child.

(Drawn by Sabrina)
(Drawn by Sabrina)

Mary Ann Bickerdyke ordered people to put her stuff where she wanted it. Her maiden name was Ball. She was a field hospital nurse in the Civil War. Mary Ann Bickerdyke went to Orblin College, she didn’t graduate.

Her husband's name was Robert Bickerdyke. She had two sons and a daughter. Her son’s names were Hiram and James. Her daughter's name was Mary.

(Drawn by Sabrina)
(Drawn by Sabrina)

Mary Ann Bickerdyke worked as a military nurse. She also worked as a Civil War nurse. Another thing she worked as a field hospital nurse. First she was just a nurse. Then she volunteered as a Civil War nurse. Finally she became a Civil War nurse.

(Drawn by Sabrina)
(Drawn by Sabrina)

Mary Ann Bickerdyke had many major accomplishments. She helped wounded soldiers in the war. She was also hired by the US Sanitary Commission during the Civil War. She also provided nursing services for recuperating soldiers.

(Drawn by Sabrina)
(Drawn by Sabrina)

On January 9th, 1861 artillery fired on a Union merchant ship called the State of the West which was delivering supplies to Fort Sumter in Charleston Harbor. On February 8th the Convention of Seceded States adopted a provisional Constitution forming the Confederate States of America.

Mary Ann Bickerdyke knew Ulysses S. Grant. Her nickname was Mother Bickerdyke. She also did cooking and cleaning. She died on November 8, 1901. She helped many solders in the Civil War. She walked on the battlefield during the Civil War to get wounded solders.