Mariya Bashkirtseva

by Yulia from Kirovograd

Photo Mariya Bashkirtseva 1878
Photo Mariya Bashkirtseva 1878

Ukrainian-born French Painter sculptor, author & musician, ca.1858-1884

Mariya Konstantinovna Bashkirtseva was born in a provincial minor noble family on November 24, 1858, in Gavronzi, a rural town of Poltava, in Ukraine. As her parents separated, she spent her childhood in the province of Kharkov, her mother's homeland. At the age of twelve, after temporary stays in Vienna, Baden, and Geneva with her family, they settled in a village they acquired in Nice.

At the age of 13, she would begin to write her Diary that would show her particular psychology. She decided to study English, German, Italian, Greek and Latin (she mastered Russian and French from birth). She played the piano, the harp and learned to sing. When acute laryngitis ruined her mezzo-soprano voice, painting would replace singing on her horizon.

When she was nineteen years old, she urged her family to sell the village in Nice and to move to Paris in order to begin her fine arts studies. Educated privately, she studied painting in France at the Académie Julian, one of the few establishments that accepted female students. Unfortunately, a large number of Bashkirtseff's works were destroyed by the Nazis during World War II.

When she died of tuberculosis on 31 October 1884, Marie left 100 paintings and sketches, 6 pastels, 80 drawings, 83 studies after 5 models and sculpture. Her works were exhibited after her death. They are now exhibited in major museums around the world. But it is her diary that brings glory.

The Umbrella
The Umbrella

In the face of death her spirit would not weaken; even with her forces exhausted, she would not allow herself to stay in bed until her last days.

The Artcyclopedia - The Guide to Great Art on the Internet
Rollins College - Mariya Bashkirtseva, the Forgotten Genius
Encyclopedia of Ukraine