Martin Luther King Jr

by Alika from Shelter Bay

My hero is Martin Luther King Jr.. He was a great person, peacemaker, activist and organizer. He was born on Tuesday, January 15, 1929. He was the son of Rev. Martin Luther King Sr. and Alberta Williams and husband of Coretta Scott King and father to 4 children.

Some significant events in his life were: His last speech was March 1963 in Washington; he was a Civil Rights activist 1953-1968; he led the Montgomery Bus Boycott in 1955 and he helped begin the Southern Christian Leadership Conference in 1957. These things are important because on these dates he accomplished important things towards stopping racism.

My hero (www.summit.mccsc.edu)
My hero (www.summit.mccsc.edu)

In his life there were numerous hardships and struggles. There were threatening calls in the middle of the night. He was stabbed in the chest in New York City. He dodged rocks and bottles in Chicago. Then in various cities in the south, he faced water cannons and police dogs. He suffered this all because he preached that racism against the individual and government was ungodly.

Even though he had some struggles, he made some major accomplishments. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in the year of 1964. He was admitted to college at age 15. He received the presidential Medal of Freedom in 1977 (posthumous), as well as the Congressional Gold award in 2004 (posthumous}.

Martin Luther King Jr. demonstrated heroism by giving people with colored-skin equal rights and going to jail several times because he had a dream of ending racism and he wasn’t going to give up. Martin Luther King Jr. was an organizer because he led marches for blacks to vote, desegregation, labour rights and other basic civil rights. He was an activist because he preached about racism in order to make it stop. He was a preacher because he preached at a Baptist church. He is a peacemaker because he tried to make peace with police officers.

Martin Luther King Jr. had so many dreams but sadly he wasn’t around to see them happen because he died on April 4,1968 in Memphis Tennessee at the age of 39. Martin Luther King Jr. is my hero!