Laura Ingalls Wilder

by Kinley, The Community School, 3rd Grade, Sun Valley, ID, USA

Do you know how it would feel to be a pioneer child? Laura Ingalls Wilder was that pioneer child who wrote many books and became a world famous author. Did you know that she was a teacher at 15 years old?

Laura was born on February 1869 near the village of Pepin Wisconsin. Laura had a sister named Mary and her parents were Charlie and Caroline Ingalls. Laura was their second child. She was 90 years old when she died in 1957. Laura’s house was destroyed by fire. When she wrote books, cars came by with her fans in them. Laura wrote Little House on the Prairie and Little House in the Big Woods and all other Little House books. When she was a child Laura helped her family with many chores. Some of these chores were churning butter and rounding up cattle. She was also a great student. Laura’s first teaching job was in 1882.

Laura’s books teach us about what it was like to travel by wagons across our country and what it was like to live on the prairie. In the 1800’s she survived lots of different adventures and the Ingalls stayed together as a family through their life. Laura was strong, tough and adventurous.

Laura Ingalls Wilder was a hero to American history. She survived a hard life on the prairie and worked very hard. She grew up to be a teacher and then wrote all her life stories to be an inspiration for all of us.

Collins, Harper. "Little House, Big Adventure." [Online] Available http://www.littlehousebooks.com/girls/laura.cfm.