Michelle Kwan

by Nicole from Cedar Grove

Wilfred A. Peterson once stated, “Explore your mind, discover yourself then give the best to you that is in your age and to your world. There are heroic possibilities with to be discovered in every person.” Heroes don’t have to be famous, adults, or any specific skin tone. They are extraordinary and impact the lives of others. A hero has many great qualities such as being a dreamer, loyal, and selfless. Michelle Kwan is a famous ice skater from the United States and is considered a hero to many people.

Michelle Kwan was born on July 7, 1980 in Torrance, California. When Michelle was five, she was inspired to skate after watching her brother, Ronald who played ice hockey. At the age of six, she entered her first competition and came in first! By the age of thirteen, Michelle Kwan competed for the US Skating Championship and finished in sixth. Over the next few years, she had her mind and heart set on future Olympics.

Michelle Kwan’s dreams came true over the next few years. Kwan won the Nationals eight times and the World Championship title five times. She was part of the 1998 Winter Olympics and won the silver! Michelle took part in the 2002 Winter Olympics and received the bronze medal! She was in the 2005 World Figure Skating Championship and came in fourth. Michelle Kwan once said, “I always thought after 2002 I’d hang up my skates and go professional and just go on tour and do shows. But I don’t know when it is enough. I mean I’m the luckiest girl alive that I get to perform in front of thousands of people, doing what I love doing.” Will Michelle go professional or will she stick to competitions? As of now, no one is sure.

Heroes possess many different qualities such as being a dreamer, fearless, and persistence. My hero, Michelle Kwan, is a dreamer because she fought to take part in the Olympics and never gave up. She is persistent in her efforts. Lastly, Michelle is fearless because she is not afraid of failing; she’s doing what she loves doing. These are the qualities Michelle Kwan has that help her with ice skating.

In conclusion, heroes are known for their accomplishments. A hero inspires others to accomplish great deeds. Michelle Kwan is a wonderful ice skater. She inspires people to ice skate and never give up. Michelle Kwan is a hero to people throughout the United States and the world.