Joe Mauer

by Ian from Eden Prairie

Joe winning his batting title. (I drew it.)

My hero is Joe Mauer, the starting catcher for the Minnesota Twins. He was born on April 19, 1983, in St.Paul, Minnesota. He has won three batting titles and one gold glove. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for six years and always has played with good sportsmanship. Also, he has helped charities and many children in need of a hero.

His choice of charity is the Friends of St. Paul Baseball. It is an organization that helps improve the baseball facilities for youth in St.Paul Minnesota. He has helped their charity by raising more than 30,000 dollars. He also has established a community ticket program called "Mauer's Minnies" which provides tickets for disadvantaged families from the Twin Cities of Minnesota.

He has done so much to help charities and help children in hospitals that he was a candidate for the Roberto Clemente Award. It is an award given to the player who best represents the game of baseball, has the most sportsmanship, is involved in his community and contributes to his team. However, Joe doesn't do these things for awards. He does them because that is the type of guy Joe Mauer is.

Joe Mauer has many types of qualities. One of them is sportsmanship, because he never quits or has a bad attitude. Another is dedication since he always tries when he makes promises to children. But what might be his best quality is being a caring person. That to me, is his best quality of all.

Joe Mauer has many reasons that he is a hero to me and others. He is a hero to me because of all he has done to help hospitals, charities, and many children in need of a hero. Joe might be a hero to the charities because of all he has done to help raise money. Also, he might be a hero to the children since they know that another person cares about them. Joe Mauer is my hero because of those reasons.

Ian's Gallery Page - Featuring Joe Mauer