John Augustus Sutter

by Jack, The Community School, Sun Valley, ID, USA

Do you know where the Gold Rush started? John Sutter built the first gold mine and that’s where the gold rush started. He tried out the paper business but it was not the job for him. He was broke until he started the mill. After he discovered gold he became broke again. He was an interesting man with an interesting life.

John’s real name was Johann Augustus Sutter. He was born in 1803 and died in 1880. He joined a trapping party when he was a teenager. After his partner James Marshall found gold at the mill he took it to Sutter. He examined the gold and it was real. So Sutter told everyone and everyone started coming to California. That’s how the gold rush started.

John is important because if he didn’t build the mill and find gold there, people wouldn’t come to California. He was broke because gold seekers destroyed his farms and fields and stole his livestock. Sutter was a historical businessman who changed California forever.

John Sutter was a hero because he helped people find gold and helped build up cities in California. He was a smart businessman who unfortunately became broke when he was taken advantage of. I admire that he had the first successful gold mine.