James Marshall

by Colton, The Community School, 3rd Grade, Sun Valley, ID, USA

Have you ever heard of a man that discovered a gold mine and led everybody to the California Gold Rush? That man was James Wilson Marshall. James Marshall was born on October 8,1810, and sadly died August 10, 1885, at age 74.

Marshall was helping John Sutter build a mill when on the morning of January 24, 1848, Marshall was examining the channel below Sutter’s mill when he noticed some shiny flakes in the channel bed. James said “I picked up one or two pieces and examined them attentively and having some general knowledge of minerals….”

By the time Marshall returned to Sutter’s fort, four days later, the war had ended and California was about to become an American possession. When Marshall found the gold he shared it with John. John looked at the shiny flakes and tested them. John said “it was the finest quality, of the least, 23 carats..."

When he found the gold the word spread and thousands of people went to California by the day to find gold. Marshall was smart and a little creative. Without him nobody would have gone to California and the west wouldn’t be settled so quickly.

I think James Marshall is a hero because when he led everybody to California, people settled and thousands of people by the day went there to find gold. He didn't realize that his actions would make such a big difference in our country. He was a creative, smart, and clever man.