Jack Cooley

by Harrison: 4th Grade Saddle River Day School USA

He is in his doctor uniform (From my dad )

I think a hero is someone who gives something up like being with their family or putting people before themselves. I think every hero does not have to be famous and most heroes are not. Not everyone can be a hero.

My hero was born in Idaho Falls in Idaho. He lived there only two weeks. My hero is my dad. His full name is John Andrew Cooley. Because his dad was in the navy, my dad lived in numerous places. Then he settled in Anchorage, Alaska. He has two brothers and one sister. He is my hero because he was in the navy and became a doctor. He has saved peoples lives before.

He was standing by a monument (From my dad)

Jack Cooley had asthma which made him miss recess at school. He went to the library while all the other kids went to recess outside. (There was a lot of pollen.) That probably helped him choose to be a doctor. He liked to watch the show Get Smart which might have made him smarter and choose to be a doctor.

Jack Cooley went to many places which also means he went to many schools. One of these schools was John Hopkins University. He learned critical care medicine in Baltimore, Maryland in 1998. He preferred math and science over reading and writing in school. Which means in Florida, when he was in the library, he was probably reading science books.

Jack wanted to be a doctor so he had to go through medical school. He also wanted to be in the navy. The first two years of medical school were spent in classrooms and labs. The second year Jack learned the disciplines of medicine and the teachers had actors come in and act as patients. The second two years are spent doing rotations covering different specialties. He was doing anesthesia in the second year.

My dad has displayed some heroic qualities in the past years. One of them was he will not be doing what he wants all the time because he will be in the hospital. He also might have to work 36 hours. One important one is putting people before himself. Another hero-like quality is Jack never gives up no matter how hard it is. Another one is he cures people, even if they don't share his beliefs. One that is really important is doing the right thing because if you don't you could kill someone.

Cooley, Jack. "Personal Interview. "New Jersey2010.