Ilia Chavchvadze

by Vakho from Gavazi, Georgia

My hero is Ilia Tchavtchavadze. He was born in 1837. Ilia was a great poet and writer. He loved his country so much and he did everything for Georgia and Georgians’s development. He wrote many stories and poems in which he described the life of ordinary people. He hoped of the best future of the country. Ilia Tchavtchavadze got his education in St. Petersburg and returning to his homeland started to publish the magazine “Iveria” and founded the first bank in 1875.

Ilia Chavchavadze helped to found the society for the spreading of literacy among the Georgians. The organization played an outstanding part in Georgian national consciousness. At that time many people in Georgia couldn’t read and write so Ilia and his friends opened a number of new schools, small libraries, published new books and so on to help people get education and make the country stronger.

Because of his big love towards his country, people in Georgia called him “Ilia The Right”. Ilia Tchavtchavadze died in 1904. He dreamed his country to be independent. At last his dream came true and a century later the country became an independent country. I am proud of that I had such ancestor.