Isabella Baumfree

by Isabella from Alpharetta, Georgia

"Where did your Christ come from, from God and a woman, man had noting to do with Him!" -Sojourner Truth
Sojourner Truth delivering her famous speech, "Ain't I a Woman?"

My hero is Isabella Baumfree, not because I have the same name as her but because she is very brave and not afraid to do what is right. Even though she didn't see her work taking effect in her lifetime. She still did it for the good of the women and African Americans of the future. She was born into slavery and was sold a lot of times. She had at least 7 children and saw her loved one be killed by his masters. She was very smart and was very tall with a voice so low it sounded like a man's voice, but her singing voice was beautiful. When she started preaching she changed her name to Sojourner Truth. This picture is Sojourner Truth preforming her famous, "Ain't I A Woman" speech.