Heroes

by Primoz from Gimnazija Tolmin, Slovenia

MODERN DAY HEROES HAVE THE SAME QUALITIES AS THE ANCIENT HEROES

As far as we can go back in history there were heroes and they still are among us. But as time was passing by their qualities have also been changing and that is why I cannot agree with the statement above.

On one hand, in ancient empires such as Egypt, Greece and Rome there were many heroes. They were warriors supported by god powers. They tried and fought well. They were trying to save their nation and they did. So they were seen as life savers and peace makers. They were admired by farmers, merchants – citizens in general. Their qualities were seen in their power, might and will to keep their people safe. In medieval times not much changed. Heroes were mostly generals who lead their army in glorious victories, encouraging people to fight for their freedom.

But on the other hand, difference in heroes’ qualities appeared after World War Two when peace was established in the modern western world. People were not so connected anymore and technological development and capitalism led into the crisis of social values. Therefore different heroes had to appear. Their qualities were not anymore in physical power but in their ability to persuade people that good still exists and that money is not the most important thing you should have.

In conclusion, it is estimated that 70% people have a hero, which they look up to and are trying to understand and obtain qualities he/she has. Heroes were, heroes are and they will be; only their qualities have changed.