Harriet Tubman

by Zach from Tipp City

Have you ever heard of Arminta Ross? Well maybe you have heard of her more commonly known as Harriet Tubman.

My hero is Harriet Tubman because she inspires me to chase my dreams. She also is my hero because of all of the lives she saved.

Harriet Tubman was born around 1820 in Dorchester County, Maryland. Her master was Edward Brodas. Harriet’s mother name was Harriet Greene whose nickname was “Old Rit.” Harriet’s father’s name was Benjamin Ross. Harriet’s birth name was Arminta Ross, but people called her Harriet after her mother. Harriet had 11 siblings and was a middle child. Some of her siblings were hired out to other people while others were sold. Harriet’s mother was determined to keep Harriet. Harriet was an Ashanti from West Africa. Slaves got food supplies once a month and clothing once a year. When Harriet was 11 she started hearing about the Underground Railroad and how slaves were taking it to freedom. Harriet died March 10, 1913.

One of Harriet’s greatest accomplishments was saving over 300 slaves on the Underground Railroad. Another big accomplishment was when she became a spy and a nurse for the Union Army.

Some of Harriet’s contributions were freeing over 300 slaves and helping many soldiers in the Civil War. One of the challenges Harriet faced was randomly passing out after being hit with a metal doorstop.

Harriet Tubman is important to me because she saved so many people on the Underground Railroad. She inspires me to help people everyday. Harriet risked her life so many times to help others. She is an all around great person.