Harriet Tubman

by Jess from Prescott

Harriet tubman (google.ca)
Harriet tubman (google.ca)

My hero is Harriet Ross Tubman, a survivor of the U.G.R.R (Underground Railroad.) She fought for freedom. She saved others without caring for the stakes. She had will to stand up for herself. She was hero to many. She was a positive reinforcement for others.

Born into slavery in 1829 Arminta Harriet Ross Tubman was put to work at the age of six. After years of slavery, she changed her name from Arminta Ross and she became Harriet Ross Tubman after marrying black man by the name of John Tubman. When she went to Philadelphia, she met a man named William Still, Philadelphia's stationmaster on the Underground Railroad. Harriet wanted to learn more about the UGRR. She was positive William could help her understand the U.G.R.R. She saved 300 slaves from one wheat factory in 1963. Her goal was to stop slavery in America and the world. She succeeded by freeing 368 slaves and bringing them to Canada from the states. Harriet was wanted but never caught. There was a reward for $40,000.

She was a nurse, a soldier and a spy sometimes in the Civil War. She was a mentor and friend to many. She also worked for women's voting rights in the United States. Before her father died he had taught her survival skills that had helped her to escape to Canada, but she did not wait to go to Canada straightaway.

Harriet was 74 when she died of pneumonia in 1913 in Auburn, New York.

When Harriet was 12 years old she was seriously hurt from a blow to the head after she refused to help tie up a runaway slave. Harriet Tubman was a wise woman. So the advice I think she would give the youthful would be to never give up and always have faith. Harriet Tubman led slaves through the Underground Railroad. It sounds like a train, but it was just a group of people helping each other to freedom in Canada. Harriet Tubman didn't always take the same path. She always changed paths because some would be found and destroyed by enemies.

So Harriet Tubman is my hero because she found a way to freedom. She would do anything for anyone. She's my hero for being her and all the things she did.

SHE IS MY HERO!

Harriet Tubman - Wikipedia