Harriet Beecher Stowe

by Hannah from Westerville

Harriet Beecher Stowe was born in June 14, 1811. She was born in Litchfield, Connecticut. Her birth name was Harriet Elizabeth Beecher. The big connection she had with Ohio is that she moved and taught there.

Harriet had a big family. Her mother’s name is Roxana Foote Beecher, and her dad’s name was Lyman Beecher. Her siblings names are Catherine, Mary, William, Edward, and Charles.

Harriet had a step mom. At age 11 Harriet already writing composition. When her mother died her older sister Catherine was like the mother.

On January 6, 1836 Harriet married Calvin Stowe. They had 8 children. One of their children died at 18 months because of cholera. Another died drowning on campus at Dartmouth College.

Catherine and Harriet worked at a school in Cincinnati. Harriet wanted to write fiction but Catherine didn’t approve. Harriet sometimes communicated with freed slaves.

Harriet became famous by writing for the Western Monthly Magazine. She wrote “The Mayflower”, and convinced her husband she should seriously pursue a literary career.

Her book “Uncle Tom's Cabin”, sold 300,000 copies the first year! It sold 10,000 the first week! Harriet met Abraham Lincoln for trying to inform people about how slavery is wrong.

Harriet's date of death was July 1, 1896. She was 85 when she died. She died where she was born, Hartford, Connecticut.

Her novel “Uncle Toms Cabin” explained slaves’ rights. Harriet died about 4 or 5 years before slavery ended. She didn’t know that she helped make a difference or that she was a hero to anybody.